Key functions and features:
- Monitors and controls water consumption
- Has a short range radio used to communicate with the User Interface Unit (UIU), the Data Collector or the Field Service Terminal
- Logs and stores water consumption data over an extended period
- Stores a log of cumulative month-end consumption data suitable to be used for billing purposes
- Detects and warns of possible consumer side leaks
- Detects tamper
The WMD consist of a glass-reinforced nylon enclosure, incorporating the electronic components and a pulse pickup probe for use with a mechanical water meter which is equipped with an approved pulse generator. The WMD includes a LCD display which will display the measurement details.
The WMD is capable of retaining 3000 hourly readings on a first-in, first-out basis. These readings can then be downloaded to a PC for analysis.
The valve will close and tamper situations will be logged and displayed when:
- The pulse probe is removed from the meter.
- There is damage to the sensor cable
User Interface Unit (UIU):
This is the remote display unit installed within the consumer’s home that provides the gateway into the WMD installed outside the premises.
The function of the UIU is to:
- Remotely display the meter reading as reflected by the WMD
- Display remaining allocation available to the consumer
- Allow for prepayment Top up / Credit token entry
- Provide various alarms for the consumer, such as leak and tamper
- Display the WMD serial number.
Prepayment/Top Up Credit:
In many cases municipalities and other water service providers want to provide the consumer with the ability to purchase credit themselves, without having to have the meter read and a bill sent out, or what is commonly referred to a prepayment metering.
The WMD, is based on the STS Association standard, and regulates the manner in which a 20 digit token is to be issued
The implementation of STS based prepayment system allows for the following:
- The consumer having full control of their own specific water needs
- The deployment of a non-proprietary vending infrastructure
- Utility banking hall based vending
- Internet-based vending
The use of existing 3rd party vending infrastructure which, provided the relevant commercial contracts are in place, could include :
- A current STS electricity vending station including XML –vend based vending platforms
- An independent vendor, such as EasyPay or Blue Label Technologies
- Internet vending
- Points of sale
- Cell phone/sms based vending
Utility Systems can provide a standard set of reports which are updated and available immediately on-line. Further customised reports can be obtained by arrangement.
The standard reports include:
- Transactions by customer vending point
- Sales summaries by day and month
- Monthly management summary
- Exceptions reports on low or non- existent purchasing patterns
Q. Can a trickle be programmed?
A. The WMD (Water Management device) can be programmed to allow a certain amount of water through per day. If this is reached or the credit runs out then the valve closes and allows no water through.
Q. Can the system handle a set amount of free water per month?
A. The vending system is where we set up the tariff and the free water will be allocated according to the vends. As indicated above the WMD can also be programmed to allow 6kL (200L) per day through before it operates in pre-payment mode.
Q. How flexible are Power Measurement on the payment processing and scheme admin fee scale?
A. Not significantly.
Q. Guarantee period?
A. The meters comes with a 1 year warranty. The installation must be done by a qualified plumber and according to specifications to enable the product provided to offer the 1 year.
Q. What would an extended guarantee cost and for how long?
A. The manufacturer does not presently offer an extended warranty.
Q. What would happen if the meter is reversed?
A. If installed in reverse the water meter has a non-return valve that will stop water from running through in reverse.
Q. IP Rating?
A. IP 68 – IP68 guarantees protection in water up to 30 meters deep for 30 minutes. Both are resistant to dust.
Q. Mounting options?
A. Wall mounted box or ground mounted box.
Q. Minimum low flow rate?
A. 0,015 m /h
Q. Maximum pressure rating?
A. 1600 kPa
Q. How many are in the field and where?
A. To date PMD have installed over 1000 in the Eastern and Western Cape. The City Of Cape Town are rolling these meters out and aim to install around 55 000 at a rate of 8 000 per month. High water users pay R4 500.00 each per installation.
Q. What is the process to change batteries?
A. In the latest version of WMD the battery can be replaced in the field.
Q. If a remote is lost then how does the consumer get a new one?
A. We can supply a new UIU (the new unit is then paired in the field at the meter)
Q. Largest size available?
A. 50 mm